Wednesday, July 25, 2012

ChiCon and Fandom

In little more than a month, it'll be time for ChiCon 7. I was able to attend the last ChiCon in 2000, so I have some idea what to expect. I'm not sure yet if I'll be participating in programming or reading, but I'll probably spend some time at the BroadUniverse table to help promote Lyon's Legacy and other books by members.

ChiCon is different from WisCon (the main convention I attend regularly) in that it attracts a lot of fans in addition to pros such as editors, agents, and writers. While few people wear costumes to WisCon, there will probably be many people doing so at ChiCon. In fact, there's a Masquerade Saturday night. It should be fun to see all the wonderful costumes people create.

One thing that will be a bit odd for me at ChiCon is that since I don't watch TV or movies in my little free time (that's mostly for writing or reading), I'm going to feel out of the loop with some references. Of course, if Busytown Mysteries, my son's favorite show, counts as fantasy, I'm good there. But I haven't watched the latest incarnation of Doctor Who, and I've only read the first book of A Song of Ice and Fire. Maybe I need to read some wikis before Labor Day weekend. Anyone have any suggestions about which fandoms I should learn more about before ChiCon?

No comments:

Site Meter