Monday, April 30, 2012

BRoP Interview--Christine Fonseca

Today I not only have the honor of starting off the Blog Ring of Power interview, I also get to do it for a friend of mine. I met Christine Fonseca through the long-running Blog Chain. She writes both YA and nonfiction. Here's her official biography:


School psychologist by day, critically acclaimed YA and nonfiction author by night, Christine Fonseca believes that writing is a great way to explore humanity. Her debut YA Gothic series, The Requiem Series, including DIES IRAE and LACRIMOSA, examines the role of redemption, sacrifice and love. Her nonfiction titles include 101 SUCCESS SECRETS FOR GIFTED KIDS and EMOTIONAL INTENSITY IN GIFTED STUDENTS.When she’s not writing or spending time with her family, she can be sipping too many skinny vanilla lattes at her favorite coffee house or playing around on Facebook and Twitter. Catch her daily thoughts about writing and life on her blog. For more information about Christine Fonseca or the series, visit her website  or her blog.

 Let's start by getting to know Christine a bit better:

 How long have you been writing?
I started writing stories as a kid, crafting my own myths and contemporary stories. But I didn’t write with the intention of publishing until April 2009. I, like many, was bitten by a story that would not let me go. It was relentless in its pursuit of me, literally forcing me to write it. And although it was promptly shelved once I really figured out how horrible it was, that story and those characters still speak to me.
When and why did you begin writing?
As I mentioned in the question above, I started writing because the noise in my head was just too loud to ignore. With that first story I discovered an outlet, a creative voice that had been missing for far too long. I continue to write because I feel like I have something to say, if that makes sense.
What genre do you write?
I write a couple of genres – in nonfiction, I write parenting and self-help books for kids and adults that focus on the social and emotional needs of giftedness, as well as empowerment. In fiction, I write YA and New Adult urban fantasy, paranormal, psychological thrillers and contemporary. Yea, I’m pretty eclectic.
What is your favorite theme/genre to write about?
As much as it may seem that I dabble in a lot of genres, I actually write about only one or two themes – self discovery. Whether it is discovering and “owning” your flaws, or overcoming obstacles, and dealing with redemption and sacrifice—every story focuses on emotional development and acceptance in some way.
If you couldn’t be an author, what would your ideal career be?
You know, I think my ideal job is actually what I do in my day job – developing and supporting educational programs designed for children with behavioral and mental health needs. That and speaking.

You can find the rest of Christine's interview on the following blogs:

The Writing Life  Tuesday, May 1st @ Dean
The Creative Process - Wednesday, May 2nd @ Terri
The Technical Aspects -- Thursday, May 3rd @ Teresa
About Your Current Work + The Business Aspects - Friday, May 4th @ Emily 

As if casting out demons isn’t hard enough, five-hundred-year-old Nesy has to masquerade as a teenage girl to do it. Nesy is the best of the warrior angels called Sentinals. She never makes mistakes, never hesitates, never gets emotionally involved. Until she meets Aydan.  
He is evil incarnate; a fallen angel that feeds off the souls of others. Everything Nesy is supposed to hate.  But she can’t, because he’s also the love of her former life as a human girl—a life that ended too soon, tying her to emotions she was never supposed to feel.
Now Nesy must choose between doing her duty—damning Aydan to the fiery depths of hell—or saving him, and condemning herself. 
Author Endorsement(s):
“LACRIMOSA reaches out, grabs readers by the heart, and takes them on an emotional journey from the first page to the last. The last novel you’ll need to read to understand true sacrifice.”
~Elana Johnson, Author of POSSESSION
Availability:
Publisher: COMPASS PRESS
ISBN: 0984786368 (ISBN 13: 9780984786367)
Hardback and Digital formats from Amazon, Barnes and Noble and fine retailers.

Additional Titles in the series include DIES IRAE (a Requiem Novella), LIBERA ME (Oct 2012) and REQUIEM (March 2013).



No comments:

Site Meter