Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Once Every Four Years....

We get an extra day!

It's funny how we also have other events that only occur every four years, such as presidential elections and the Olympics, but they don't fall on Leap Day.

You'd think a strange day like Leap Day would play a more prominent role in fiction than it does. Since this is traditionally the day women can propose to men, that would be an angle worth pursuing. Probably the most famous use of Leap Day in fiction is in The Pirates of Penzance. Much less famous is another event from one of my early (and unpublished) works, Day of All Seasons. In that book, the weather in the country of Challen got mixed up once every four years, so all four seasons occurred at once. I decided to change that in the new version I'm writing; now, Chaos Season can happen at any time. It makes things more complicated for my heroines.

Do you think Leap Day is special, or just another day? What would you like to see happen once every four years?

3 comments:

LM Preston said...

To me it's special, although I wish it was a holiday so I could be off work and doing something I would enjoy a lot more.

PT Dilloway said...

Leap Year seems kind of arbitrary like our whole system of time. They should have waited until today to release that crummy Amy Adams movie "Leap Year" from last year or 2010 or whenever it was.

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

It would be nice if we could get this day off, wouldn't it, LM?

I haven't heard of that movie, Grumpy Bulldog, but yes, today would have been an appropriate day to release it.

Site Meter