Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Back on the Blog Chain: The Ones You Love to Hate

Amparo has come up with a twisted topic for the Valentine's Day blog chain:

Since Valentine's Day is around the corner, I think it's only appropriate to pay homage to those we love. But instead of our better halves, family members, and friends, this blog chain will be all about loving the haters: write a love letter to your favorite literary villain/villain-ish character. It can be short, long, serious, funny. You can use song lyrics or poems instead. Choice is totally yours :)

It took me a while to figure out which character to write to. He's a very famous character; he's been around for hundreds of years, and many people still fear to say his name in certain locations. In deference to my actor character Paul, who does not speak this character's name, I won't name this villain either. Can you figure out who he is?


Hail, Thane of Glamis! Hail, Thane of Cawdor! Hail, King thereafter!

I should hate you, as you caused the destruction of many innocent lives in pursuit of your own ambitions. But were they really your ambitions? It could be argued that those three women you met set you on your treacherous path. Your wife isn't innocent either; you two make a pair of very bad hosts. Yet I've also read that you and your wife had the best marriage of all those your author immortalized with his words. And how can I hate you when your author made you so eloquent, so full of sound and fury? If anything, I should feel sorry for you, so trusting in your superstitions. They built you up, but they also tore you down. Do I see some trees moving in the distance? Fortune may have raised you up high, but that's only to dash you to the ground. You prove indeed that fair is foul and foul is fair. Begone; something wicked this way comes.

Do you recognize this character? Please leave your guess in the comment section, then head over to Matt's blog for his letter.

7 comments:

Amparo Ortiz said...

MACBETH!!

Awesome letter, Sandra! The part where you say 'so full of sound and fury' is how I wish MY villains were, but alas, I am no Shakespeare *sigh*

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

Ding! That didn't take long! Couldn't resist throwing in a few quotes from the play itself.

Michelle H. said...

That was an eloquent love/hate letter, although I had no idea who it was.

Eric said...

I'll join Michelle in saying I had no idea who it was. I do like the letter though. Great writing.

Michelle McLean said...

awesome post! :D And I am proud to say I actually did know who you were talking about :D My English professors would be proud LOL

Jonathon Arntson said...

That was very clever! Most of Shakespeare's characters would be perfect to write about! Thanks for this awesome post.

Margie Gelbwasser said...

So great! Very impressed. :-)

Site Meter